With the pandemic still going strong many of us are trying to stay at home as much as possible. We may have had vacations planned for this year that we've had to cancel (bye-bye Napa trip), or perhaps we were going to do something spontaneous with our time off from work. It can be down right depressing to feel like we're trapped in our homes with no end in sight.
Something that has helped my husband and me to keep our sanity is to try to make our home feel more like a getaway. Not that I've turned my living room into my favorite resort or anything (oh Ritz Carlton, how I miss you!), but little by little we've been creating spaces that we can escape to when we feel like we just need to get away. Away to anywhere.
I know not everyone owns or lives in a house. Many of you are renters and apartment dwellers. Don't worry I haven't left you out. The ideas I'm about to share can be used by just about anyone, regardless of the type of abode you call home.
1) Create a cozy retreat. Not the spot on the sofa where you work all day, but a little corner somewhere that you can use when you just need to relax. It can be in your living room, bedroom, maybe even a closet (if you have kids lol), just somewhere that helps you feel like you've actually changed your location that day.
Once you've found it, make it comfy. You could move your favorite chair there, or purchase some floor cushions from Amazon. Add a blanket, a lamp, a plant, your favorite books, anything that helps you unwind and decompress after a long day.
2) Take advantage of outdoor space. If you're fortunate to have a porch, patio, or balcony use it! I know temps are starting to cool in much of the country, but adding some warm throws can help make it possible to enjoy the outdoors even in chillier weather.
Hang some string lights, make some hot chocolate, turn on some music, and snuggle up to your special someone or furry friend.
3) Bring the movie theater to you. I don't know abut you, but my husband and I love to catch a movie while on vacation. (Well we did before our son was born lol.)
Amazon sells portable projectors, so you can have the movie theater experience in your own home. Hang a sheet on the wall and play your favorite movie while munching on extra buttery popcorn and your favorite theater candies.
4) Upgrade your bedding. The experts don't agree on everything, but they do agree that getting enough sleep is necessary to keep us healthy and happy. Start with the Westin's exclusive mattress pad to give your bed their signature "Heavenly Bed" feel. Then build from there by adding sheets and comforters from resorts like Marriott or Hilton. Or you could go all out and splurge on a set from the luxury bedding company Sferra, although just a flat sheet will probably cost more than your car payment!
5) Set your table for dinner. Want to feel like you're eating at your favorite fancy restaurant? Then create a tablescape with some candles and fresh flowers, and use your good dinnerware. If you don't have any Wayfair can come to the rescue. They have a huge selection of dinner plates, salad plates, bowls and whatever else you might need to bring that dining out feeling in. Go a step further and order dinner from your favorite restaurant, and dish it out onto your pretty new plates.
Have you found a way to give yourself the vacation feels at home? If so, let me know in the comments. If you would like help creating a cozy spot in your home, schedule your free call with me today!